Return To Sender

Address Unknown.  Or is it?

In the Wone case and upcoming trial, relationships matter and in turn, so do living arrangements.  In their interrogatory responses filed earlier, none of the three gave their current addresses.

Defendant Dylan Ward

They claimed they may do so when a protective order is entered or confidentiality agreement struck that will keep the “information from third party disclosure.”   Since then, we’ve been trying to piece together a map of where they all may be residing.  We thought we had a handle on it.

Joe Price, seen either canoodling or snogging at Union Station earlier this summer, is widely assumed to be driving the strategy for the case, and we believe he’s staying either in or very close to DC to keep a tight rein on the attorneys.

Zaborsky on the other hand, we’ve no clue but our gut says he’s still in DC.  Ward proved to be more challenging to pinpoint, for us and perhaps the Court as well.  In the plaintiff’s amended complaint filed earlier this month,  it stated Ward “…is believed to be a resident and citizen of Florida, residing at 550 NE 94th Street, Miami Shores.”

It appears the Court had something important to send him:  A notice of his trial date.  But Ward never received it.  Why?

Who knows if or where a breakdown occurred.  The DC Court database’s most recent entry shows that the notice never got to Ward.  Did they send it to the right address in the first place?

10/19/2010  Notice for: Jury Trial Issued on: September 10, 2010 Notice Mailed to: Dylan Ward Address: 550 NE 9th Street Miami, FL 33138

Notice Returned to Court on: 10/19/2010 Reason: Unable to Forward

We showed him on 94th Street not 9th Street.  Maybe it was a typo when the letter was sent or a bad entry on the database.  Who knows.  The information chain is only as strong as its weakest link and in this jurisdiction, we’ve lost count of the number of suspect links.

In criminal proceedings, like the one the three defendants went through since October, 2008, Superior Court’s Pretrial Services keeps tabs on defendants and monitors their travel if they are placed under any restrictions.  We know of no such office in the Civil Division.

In any event, this notice, sent on September 10, may have been superceded by subsequent ones since the trial date kept shifting, and if another one was sent, perhaps the Court used 94th Street this time.  They may also want to check that interrogatory, the State of Washington notary stamp jumped off the page when we saw it.

In the long run, we’re not worried about Ward missing his trial date; we keep track of it right here: It’s still set for October 17, 2011, 362 days away.  That should give the DC Courts just enough time to locate him.

57 comments for “Return To Sender

1. Bruce
    10/20/2010 at 11:03 AM

Screw-ups with notices from the Court are a common phenomenon in my jurisdiction, and I’m sure the same applies in DC. It is all unintentional data entry issues involving human error. I’m sure the court clerks doing this are very nice people, but they are not known, at least here, as the brightest stars in the firmament.

What surprises me most is that Ward is getting any notice at all. He has counsel of record. Notice to counsel is notice to the party, at least around here. It is possible that the DC system allows the parties the option to also have notices sent to the parties, in addition to notices sent to attorneys of record. But I would have to defer to DC attorneys in that regard.

Over the last day or so, everytime I look at the beloved WMRW, it feels like I am the last living cell in a dead body. No posts for hours. Maybe everyone just needs a respite. I am guilty as anyone for not posting, I agree, but lets shake this thang.

• denton
      10/20/2010 at 1:41 PM

The court filing “date stamp” is the worst! Sometimes I see last year date stamp for today’s filing. It’s so funny when sometimes I see the Initial Hearing, the Deposition, etc. already took place, but the “next” hearing, or Trial, date will start last year.

“Common phenomenon” is a good word for it.

• denton
        10/20/2010 at 1:48 PM

But DC court has recently migrated into all e-filing with e-signature as you see on this site.

• banshee
      10/20/2010 at 3:15 PM

Nah. Let’s not single out court clerks as “not the brightest…” We’ve encountered “faint stars” all over this case, independent of career position or employer.

Apologies for the following sanctimonious bit – wish it didn’t sound so. It is most certainly not a response to B’s post.

We don’t want to patronize or demean, especially on the basis of perceived intelligence and economic class – it’s done too easily/cheaply – and is just as likely as any stereotyping to be wrong or unimaginative. I don’t think that’s what this group is about.

• Bruce
        10/20/2010 at 4:02 PM

True. Agreed.

Please delete last sentence of first paragraph of my post above. Wish all could “un-see” it, much like many of us would like to “un-see” that photo of Ward included with the kind editor’s article.

• banshee
          10/20/2010 at 5:04 PM

Very gracious. Love the spirit of this group.

• banshee
          10/20/2010 at 5:16 PM

and funny!

• Craig
      10/20/2010 at 5:24 PM

No excuses. We never close. We’re open 24/7/362 🙂

• 10/20/2010 at 10:06 PM

OK, Craig, I’ll bite. What are the 3 days (4 in a leap year) when you’re closed???

• Craig
          10/21/2010 at 9:27 AM

Hey Gloria: We never close. We’re open all night. 362 361 days until Judge Hedge gavels in the trial.

Which raises the question – How to sustain a level of interest and intensity until then? We all faced the same daunting calendar in May 2009, when Judge Weisberg announced the date for the criminal trial, and somehow we managed, thanks to a motivated readership. Here we go again. Same as it ever was.

• CDinDC (Boycott BP)
            10/21/2010 at 9:41 AM

365?

• carolina
              10/21/2010 at 11:53 AM

I assumed he was counting down until the court date.

I don’t think there is a reason to keep the site at fever pitch. Info will come in when it comes in, and we will continue to check daily for those updates. Hopefully we’re not teenaged girls and WMRW is not Justin Beiber. At least we have better haircuts.

• Rapt in MD
                10/22/2010 at 9:33 AM

Agree Carolina – I am okay with waiting for information as it trickles out and will continue to be a loyal daily lurker, even though there might not be much to say. I’ve been passing some of the time reading the story of Huguette Clark the mysterious heiress…

2. CDinDC (Boycott BP)
    10/20/2010 at 12:43 PM

Oh look…the infamous Flickr photo. And those god-awful Casey Anthony sunglasses. I wonder if he bought his at Target, as well.

• Kate
      10/20/2010 at 2:20 PM

Yes, those god-awful specs.

After the ribbing we gave him the last time he popped up in that attire, you would think he had learned not to wear those again whilst visiting this site. Not to mention the god-awful tennies. (please don’t let Clio know I wrote that. The Muse loves dem thar shoes!)

Cheers,
      Kate

• Clio
        10/20/2010 at 11:20 PM

I still want those emerald-tinged slippers: can Dyl, though, click them twice to go back to Tacoma? I wonder.

• Kate
          10/21/2010 at 10:43 AM

Ah -ha, Clio – perhaps the emerald slippers are indeed bewitched. That would explain why the DC Courts are having a tough time determining his whereabouts?

I understand this is a common problem in the Muggle world.

3. Bill Orange
    10/20/2010 at 3:57 PM

You know, I’m going to disagree with a few of you here. I think he looks quite attractive in this photo. He looks young, handsome, and playful.

• Kate
      10/20/2010 at 5:41 PM

Evening Bill O – I agree with you that Dylan is a good looking fella, CD and I were just engaging in a round of good-natured (perhaps a teensy bit catty) Fashion Police work, not unlike the comments made the first time this photo was posted.

One important question for you, sir: Are you with me on the green and white tennis shoes, or are you leaning towards the Clio camp on this burning issue?

Just having a wee bit of fun and Cheers,
      Kate

• AnnaZed
        10/20/2010 at 6:23 PM

“ah, it”s gone … that funny lost look …”

Somehow that is more effective when Lawrence Olivier says it, but I would say true of our little Dyl now too. The carefree boyish Dylan of this photo no longer exists on this earth.

• Kate
          10/21/2010 at 10:34 AM

So true, Anna Z.

I just got hit with a wave of sadness at the thought of so many young and promising lives destroyed by this wasteful tragedy. And Robert, the best and brightest of them all, lost forever.

Many thanks for the Rebecca quote – Hitchcock’s first American film (if memory serves me correctly), and one of my all-time favorites.

Regards,
          Kate

• Bill Orange
        10/20/2010 at 6:33 PM

The tennis shoes don’t bother me too much, either. They look brand new, but they don’t look terribly ostentatious otherwise. My overall impression is of someone who is simply casually handsome. I suppose you could be cynical and argue that the whole outfit is probably new and that Joe was just playing dress-up with boy-toy in order to shoot the perfect picture of his crotch, but if that’s what he did, then I think he did a damn good job of it.

• susan
          10/20/2010 at 7:48 PM

You know who else has been described as good looking? The Craigslist killer, Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, the Dating Game killer, Tom Cruise, John Edwards, etc., etc. Meaning, it’s a nice observation, but pretty meaningless overall.

What I’d like to know is, what is on that T-shirt. I see a whale and/or a skull and/or neither. Maybe it says “Kiss me I’m Irish?” Or “‘Kiss D.’ I’m Irish…..”

• Bill Orange
            10/20/2010 at 9:40 PM

Meaning, it’s a nice observation, but pretty meaningless overall.
            —–
            Well, yes and no. I don’t think his appearance has any relevance with respect to his innocence or guilt. But I think it helps me understand Joe Price’s motives a little bit better. The Dylan I see in this photo looks very much like the sassy attractive young man that Joe described in the infamous sparkly cat card. Compare this with, say, his mug shot, in which he looks like the creepy hitchhiker from a bad horror movie. When I look at this picture, I think I can better understand why someone like Joe Price would be willing to risk his long-term relationship with Victor Zaborsky in order to possess someone like Dylan Ward.

(Please note that I am NOT saying that I would make the same series of decisions.)

• susan
              10/20/2010 at 9:53 PM

Can’t argue with what you wrote, Bill O. A lot of people are taken in and seduced by general good looks. And some people equate attractiveness with goodness. My point above is better made by saying that good looks does not equal good person–or bad.

• Clio
                10/20/2010 at 11:30 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Bill O, and I dare say Victor looks more butch or handsome or gender-conventional than the “fun” androgyne Dyl, whose holding of the garden hose in that mannered fashion seems to say: look at me, I just douched.

• Roger Sherman
                  10/20/2010 at 11:53 PM

“look at me, I just douched”

ROTFLMAO

• Kate
                    10/21/2010 at 10:19 AM

Ditto, Roger S! Very, very funny, Clio.

And Victor is indeed a handsome gent.

• Kate
              10/21/2010 at 10:39 AM

Excellent point, Bill O. I think you’ve right on the money.

• Cara
          10/22/2010 at 2:29 AM

Bill O, if you don’t mind…would you recommend William & Mary to a young high school grad today?

(btw, I dug the sneakers, too, but the mug shot looks methy to me.)

• Bill Orange
            10/22/2010 at 8:36 AM

It depends a lot on the person. I think that the quality of the education that you get from W & M is excellent. My big complaint about the place (and I haven’t been back in almost 20 years, so this may be moot now) is that Williamsburg is a fairly small town, and it caters more toward the tourists (who come to see Colonial Williamsburg) than the students.

When I was there, your two big social outlets were frat parties and the four college bars (known as “the delis”) next to campus. For me, the environment was painfully dull at times. I got a great education there, but I don’t think that I really grew much as a person, which is a big part of what college is about.

• Cara
              10/22/2010 at 1:02 PM

What a great summary! Thank you. 🙂

• Bill 2
        10/20/2010 at 6:52 PM

I’d like those green and white tennis shoes to wear to The Dubliner on March 17th – the best place in DC on St. Patrick’s Day, after the parade, of course.

• CDinDC (Boycott BP)
          10/20/2010 at 7:02 PM

If they had been white and purple you could have worn them today on anti-bullying day.

• Bill 2
            10/20/2010 at 11:23 PM

I’m totally bummed out, CD, because I missed out on the news about wearing purple today. Have been away from TV and radio for about a week but I’m on the e-mail list for HRC, SLDN, Courage Campaign, Equality Florida, White Crane, etc. and saw no mention of wearing purple. I heard about it around 4 pm, threw open the closet and there’s nothing purple. A friend once mentioned that you can almost hear Kate Smith singing “God Bless America” when my closet opens with everything red, white, or blue – along with one green shirt for March 17. If this is going to be an annual event, I’ll have purple for next year. Meanwhile, I’m really going to look for white sneaks with green racing stripes.

• AnnaZed
              10/20/2010 at 11:29 PM

On sale:

Just promise that you won’t do the matchy-matchy thing with a coordinated tee and those God-awful glasses.

• Ivan
                10/21/2010 at 9:32 AM

AnnaZed – LOL. I wondered if any one else noticed the color coordination; The green and white of the T-shirt/the green and white of the shoes and the white sunglasses. Tres chic, n’est-ce pas? I also notice a touch of L’Oreal blonde in the hair as well.

4. Rick
    10/21/2010 at 4:11 PM

I too noticed the coordinated green shirt and shoes right away and laughed, then wondered if I was the only person that noticed the “cutsey” outfit! I could never be accused of being a fashion critic. Thanks AZ and Ivan for letting me know I’m in good company.

• Ivan
      10/22/2010 at 11:54 AM

Exquisite wouldn’t you say Rick?

5. CDinDC (Boycott BP)
    10/21/2010 at 7:30 PM

Matchy matchy, as they say. LOL

6. boofoc
    10/22/2010 at 1:22 PM

Agree with Bill O’s assessment of JP’s intent: to get the best crotch shot of his boy-toy; but Clio’s observation of Dyl’s intent to project the “just douched” look with the addition of a hose is indeed interesting. Without the obvious bulge, however, it’s not the best ad for an M4M massage. Think I’ll skip over him in favor of another among the many M4Mers pictured elsewhere. But, back to the question of “address unknown,” inasmuch as I am a SOFL resident, I’ll drive down to Miami Shores and give you all my impressions of NE 94th Street (NE 9th is surely not Miami Shores), compared with Swann Street; be back soon (stopping at Haulover Beach !)

• Craig
      10/22/2010 at 1:53 PM

Boo: Thanks for the reconn. And don’t forget to file your expense report with the wmrw accounting department. 🙂

• boofoc
        10/22/2010 at 2:03 PM

Craig: Milage is only 50 x 2 x 60 cents; but admission to Haulover Beach is $5 and sunscreen is $5 additional.

• Rich
          10/22/2010 at 2:08 PM

Haulover is $5?

Gouing next week.

Thought it was free.

or, is that for parking?

7. boofoc
    10/22/2010 at 2:04 PM

$5 sunscreen? Big…………………..body!

8. boofoc
    10/22/2010 at 2:23 PM

It is free; $5 parking. Next week? c u there? How will I know you? What will u be wearing? MORE IMPORTANTLY: who will be doing WMRW?

9. Rich
    10/22/2010 at 2:26 PM

Loads of folks to do WMRW.

I’ll be in Purple and probably Green and White Tennis Shoes, since they get loads of attention.

Nothing else.

It’s Haulover. 🙂

• CDinDC (Boycott BP)
      10/22/2010 at 2:32 PM

Don’t forget your white shades, Rich.

• Rich
        10/22/2010 at 2:40 PM

Right.

10. boofoc
    10/22/2010 at 4:20 PM

I’ll have a green hose. Nobody else with a green hose!

11. boofoc
    10/24/2010 at 12:11 PM

Inasmuch as I didn’t discover you wonderful folks till perhaps early-Spring of this year, I’m trying feverishly to catch up. In that vein, I found a post by Co-Ed. Doug, dated 2/18/10, promising to find a “forensic psychopathologist” to attempt enlightenment as to JP’s, DW’s and Victor’s (maybe MP’s also) personalities/ whatever as they (the characteristics of each) possibly related to their actions/inactions on that fateful night. Did such a post eventually appear? Would someone direct me to it? Did “Drousy” ever reappear? Really appreciate it.

12. boofoc
    10/29/2010 at 6:12 PM

Rich: Haulover parking is $6 (!). Didn’t see you there; I would have lent you $6.

• Rich
      10/29/2010 at 7:04 PM

Leaving in DC in the morning.

See you soon.

I’m the lean one with a Gotee.

13. boofoc
    10/29/2010 at 9:02 PM

At lifeguard station #16.

Save the $6 parking; buy a condo along Collins Avenue and walk. Cost about $2.5 million.

• Rich
      10/29/2010 at 9:10 PM

Grew up on Collins Avenue.

The Roney Plaza 16th floor in SoBe.

See you at #16.

14. boofoc
    10/29/2010 at 9:38 PM

Long walk from SoBe to Haulover. Ok, skinny with goatee who’s out of breath from walking at #16.

15. Rich
    10/29/2010 at 9:43 PM

Yes, a very long walk. But, hey, I lived in SoBe before it was SoBe.

Just hundreds of thousands Old Jewish Ladies over 75 years old.

The old days….