A Won(e)derful World

June 1, 1974

Monday was to have been Robert’s 35th birthday.  On June 7, 2003, less than a week after his 29th birthday, a simple rendition of  one of his favorite songs was played as his bride Kathy walked down the aisle.   Just over three years later it was heard again, this time at the conclusion of his memorial service.

Too often here we focus on his passing but this week we’ll look at his rich life and the impact he had on countless people.  Robert left behind a legacy of love, friendships and service.  We are humbled by the achievements and accomplishments of an extraordinary man.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGF97F1cIoA]

-Craig, David, Doug and Michael

11 comments for “A Won(e)derful World

1. KM
    05/31/2009 at 4:38 PM

I love that song; it calms me down and gives me feelings of peace and hope.

Thank you to those who put this video together, Happy Birthday to Robert, and blessings to Mrs. Wone.

2. anonymous
    05/31/2009 at 5:51 PM

damn. well, i guess that answers the question of whether the Wones support this site’s activities

• CDinDC
      05/31/2009 at 5:58 PM

I can’t imagine they wouldn’t. This site is put together with the best of intensions.

3. Nelly
    05/31/2009 at 7:51 PM

What a touching tribute to Robert. Thanks, editors, for putting it together. Such nice pictures.

I wonder how Victor, Joe, and Dylan felt hearing that song played at Robert’s memorial service. If they were shedding any tears, it was probably because they were in fear for their own hides.

• Corgivet
      05/31/2009 at 8:16 PM

To The Wone Family,

What a wonderful tribute to an amazing young man.
      I cannot imagine the pain you all must endure every time Robert’s birthday rolls around. Losing a husband and a son under such tragic circumstances must be the ultimate agony a victim’s family must survive. .

However, in the sadness there seems to be a glimmer of a light at the end of a long tunnel. Heroes walk among us and..some more quietly than others. The Scooby Gang has brought the plight of Robert’s case to national and I suspect international awareness courtesy of this web site.

I hope you hold faith and believe that what goes around comes around…And that our justice system, although slow and encumbered does work……. eventually.

4. JusticeForRobert
    05/31/2009 at 9:56 PM

That was simply beautiful! My thoughts and prayers are with the Wone family tomorrow and always. Robert’s life will forever be cause for celebration. It is he and those like him that define a wonderful world.

5. TK
    06/01/2009 at 7:59 AM

Thanks guys, though all these images of Robert make me sad, and angry that someone might get away with murdering this man.

6. Justice for R. Wone
    06/01/2009 at 12:22 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with the Wone family. May God bless Mrs. Wone and give her peace, and justice in 2010.

7. Friend of Rob
    06/01/2009 at 1:14 PM

We miss you Rob.

8. One of Robert's many friends
    06/01/2009 at 8:01 PM

We will never forget Robert. He is always in our hearts.

9. Robert Spiegel
    07/29/2009 at 6:01 AM

Like Robert, I am from New York where I worked in many of that city’s ethnically diverse communities.

Specifically, I am from Flushing, Queens which was home to Louis Armstrong. My alma mater, Queens College, restored his house and made it into a museum in his memory.

A stone’s throw from Chinatown, I attended NYU Law School where I was an honorary member of the Asian Law Students Association.

Robert, you will be missed by all who knew you and truly loved you. You made the world more wonderful while you lived and your memory will live on in the hearts even in the hearts of those who did not have the pleasure of doing so.

Comments are closed.