Reading Beatween The Lines

Billable Hours

We see some great comments and are grateful for the many contributions.  There’s a little bit of everything: sound analysis, strong opinions, sharp teeth, sass  and the occasional limerick.  But every now and again a comment just jumps off the screen and Bea had one earlier this week.

I went back to the affidavit and realized certain language is ambiguous and that I may have read it incorrectly.

In “Victor’s Statement” it says, “[A]ccording to Zaborsky, he had come home early from a business trip and learned that Wone would be spending the night at their home. He indicated that he did not see Mr. Wone when he arrived as he was already in bed.”

I THOUGHT THIS MEANT VICTOR WAS ALREADY IN BED WHEN ROBERT ARRIVED.

Full caps is always allowed when divining a fresh interpretation of a section that we’ve all read dozens of times.  Gaming this scenario alters many of the assumptions we have on how the evening progressed.

Ahead: We’re trying to determine what’s to come at this Friday’s status conference, whether it’s an open session or private in the judge’s chambers.  We’ll find out.    Until then don’t just read the affidavit, be(a)  the affidavit.

-Craig

13 comments for “Reading Beatween The Lines

1. L.
    04/18/2009 at 10:02 PM

Whoever drafted the Affidavit did a poor job.

2. KM
    04/19/2009 at 1:36 AM

Generally I think the affidavit is well written, but maybe it’s not too late from notes or videotape of Victor’s interrogation to nail this down?

3. Lance
    04/19/2009 at 2:42 AM

While “He indicated that he did not see Mr. Wone when he arrived as he was already in bed” is ambiguous, Zaborsky’s statement cannot have been: he said either I did not see Mr. Wone when I arrived as he was already in bed or I did not see Mr. Wone when he arrived as I was already in bed.

Which is to say (a) don’t take this to be any sort of deliberate trickery on Victor’s part (not that I think anyone has been), and (b) KM is right to suggest that, if the interview was taped, this should be simple to clear up. Perhaps the prosecution’s Bill of Particulars will include a clearer statement–did we ever find out if they presented one as promised?

4. 04/19/2009 at 10:01 AM

doesn’t the government need to turn over the notes of the interviews from that first night? that shouldc lear it all up. also, i would not be surprised to see a few significant inconsistencies in the stories from the notes of that 1st night interviews, before they had the chance to regroup at cosi with a few friends (who are not covered by any privilege) and “review” [fabricate?] what had actaully happened.

• L.
      04/19/2009 at 11:54 AM

I still can’t believe that they were free to go to breakfast and solidify their story – as if Robert Wone were a dead cat or dog.

• N.M.
        04/19/2009 at 6:26 PM

And that – if i remember correctly – the investigators didn’t question Sarah for days.

5. Bea
    04/19/2009 at 1:04 PM

I hope we get the actual interview transcripts soon. If I recall correctly, the defense attorneys have been requesting them, and are entitled to them. I want to know one way or the other about Victor’s whereabouts and surely the cops were direct enough to pin him down. If he really did arrive after Robert, then the timeline is even more ridiculous.

• N.M.
      04/19/2009 at 6:29 PM

And I’d like to see how big a deal the comment about “The Hot Room” – the AC being out in just one room, the room Robert would be staying in. Its such a strange detail; but maybe its just awkward wording.

6. Legal Beagle
    04/19/2009 at 9:32 PM

By the way, apropos nothing in particular, what is happening with the Central Union Mission, which was being represented pro bono by one Joseph Price?

• Ex Swann Dude
      04/19/2009 at 10:04 PM

Well, they do sleep better at night …

7. CDinDC
    04/19/2009 at 10:28 PM

Legal Beagle, check out this link from DCist (April 09). It’s moving to a location near Union Station.

8. CDinDC
    04/19/2009 at 10:30 PM

Nevermind….that was 2008.

9. CDinDC
    04/20/2009 at 8:55 AM

If Victor did, indeed, arrive AFTER Robert was stabbed, you can tack on “Accessory After the Fact” to his list of charges.

Comments are closed.