On Deadline

Let’s Put This Issue To  Bed

The last word on this curious piece of evidence found in Dylan Ward’s bedroom.  In addition to Ralph Steadman’s daring Shakespeare centerfold, the August 7, 2006  New Yorker is loaded with good reads. We’re subscribers ourselves.

ny-cover-chast

Roz Chast cover,  Steve Coll on A. Q.  Khan

Nicholas Lehmann on citizen journalism.  As if that’s ever going to catch on.  Tips hat to I.F. Stone.

Fiction from longtime DC resident, Pulitzer prize winner and MacArthur fellow Edward P. Jones:  “Bad Neighbors”

Book review of a Samuel Beckett anthology.  More theater of the absurd.

The issue’s table of contents is here.

Looking ahead: A peek inside the mailbag; WMRW-TV is back on the air; timeline tweaks; supporting cast.

-posted by Craig

Post navigation

12 comments for “On Deadline

1. L.
    03/22/2009 at 9:40 AM

I just thought of something:

Maybe Dylan Ward found Robert Wone to be a “goody two shoes” and too self-important.

Maybe that is why Dylan thought he would drug Robert and have his way with him – but then things went wrong……..

• CDinDC
      03/22/2009 at 11:18 AM

Interesting…..maybe DW was caught up in his OWN self-importance.

Although, I personally am not into BDSM, I have had very close friends that were very deep into the BDSM lifestyle. Two friends in particular had a peculiar sense of self-importance, that I eventually found a bit distasteful causing me to distance myself from them. The domination and control went straight to their heads.

Fortunately, most people in the lifestyle are able to keep it real.

• Legal Beagle
        03/22/2009 at 11:30 AM

I found this on a site called Above the Law:

Posted by guest | Permalink
        Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:13 AM
        It’s kind of a joke that the Arent Fox partner (as in law firm) and his partner (as in gay) and their lover were just now indicted. Before too long, they will start to turn on each other, but you know that they all know what happened there. I hope that the feds don’t make any deals and they get those fuckers, because assholes like that make it a lot harder for normal, upstanding gay people who don’t murder acquaintances after drugging and raping them.

If this is an attempt at humor it is gross. But I think even the humor may reflect something.
        A lot of the people defending the three seem to be defending a lifestyle and a way of going about sex. What else can their callousness mean? Let us say the obvious. There is nothing wrong with fantasy and having a good time. But if there is not a strong ability to distinguish between fantasy and reality, then
        it is not just about having a good time. It is about crime.

• Dupont Dweller
          03/22/2009 at 11:51 AM

I just looked at this site recently, but I think there should be some focus on the fact that readership of the New Yorker correlates with higher income brackets. I own a house fairly close to Swann. I can tell you that if the three guys hadn’t managed to sell the place for more than they paid, local attitudes would be even worse for them. If this calamity had dragged down property values it would have been a disaster for the neighborhood. Strangely, to the contrary if it
          seems like one of those Palm Beach murder mysteries that gets people chatting, and almost brings a weird cache. I think the Price and Zaborsky actually got almost 1.5 million for the place. I bet the neighbors on that block breathed one big sigh of relief even if they couldn’t stand the guys who were getting the money. The significance of all this is that a jury of regular joes, if such can be found in DC, are unlikely to look at such a fancypants lifestyle with great sympathy.

• Lance
          03/22/2009 at 6:29 PM

(“Callousness”?)

To be clear, I agree 100% that

There is nothing wrong with fantasy and having a good time. But if there is not a strong ability to distinguish between fantasy and reality, then it is not just about having a good time.

Let’s just not forget that there’s nothing inherent in a BDSM lifestyle that precludes making the fantasy/reality distinction. If the three housemates did indeed fail to distinguish and therefore committed a crime, then I hope they’re found guilty, and also that no one takes their guilt as indicative of the way gay men, or BDSM enthusiasts, behave in general. I’m also not ready to take it for granted, nor in any way proven, that they did fail to make that distinction.

• Legal Beagle
            03/22/2009 at 7:02 PM

As I see it the leather lifestyle presents more of an aesthetic conundrum than a moral one. Why is it that when a guy grows fat with age he thinks that becoming a leather queen is an appealing prospect? Plump can be beautiful, but not with guts hanging over chaps. As for the male dominatrix shit, who the hell cares what people do? By the way I think people on this blog have the wrong idea about Price’s weight. I saw him a few times before the whole incident and he was a pretty plump little guy. Only later with all the stress did he lose weight.

• CDinDC
              03/22/2009 at 10:37 PM

On Price’s Alt.com profile, he described himself as being 5’11” and slim/petite.

2. CDinDC
    03/22/2009 at 4:10 PM

~~Dupont Dweller says: I think there should be some focus on the fact that readership of the New Yorker correlates with higher income brackets~~

I find this an ugly generalization, DD. You’re equating intelligence with money. Not so nice.

Besides, DW wasn’t in a higher income bracket. Not to mention it was a 2006 issue. He could have picked it up at the dentist office for all we know.

~~Dupont Dweller says: I own a house fairly close to Swann………If this calamity had dragged down property values it would have been a disaster for the neighborhood.~~

boo hoo.

~~Dupont Dweller says: The significance of all this is that a jury of regular joes, if such can be found in DC, are unlikely to look at such a fancypants lifestyle with great sympathy.~~

The significance of all this is….classism.

• Dupont Dweller
      03/22/2009 at 5:28 PM

Come to think of it, you are right about the dentist’s office. But I think you are off the mark
      about classism. More exactly it would be class anxiety, sociologically speaking. I think that anxiety played a role in this whole story and not just for Ward. Anyone trolling around on the internet might not be feeling tip-top about themselves. No matter what kind of house they live in.

• Anonymous
        06/16/2009 at 12:50 PM

Um, the crime occured in 2006. That was the current issue at the time of the murder. It doesn’t matter, but I think it was stated somewhere that Dylan was a subscriber.

I think they trolled on the internet b/c to them ordering up a body was like ordering up a pizza.

• CDinDC
          06/16/2009 at 1:29 PM

“Um”….your right. But he still could have picked it up at a dentist’s office.

The point of my March post was DD’s comment regarding the correlation of readership with “higher income brackets”. Nothing more.

3. CDinDC
    03/22/2009 at 6:06 PM

off the mark???

Let’s just get back to……Robert Wone. Not real estate values. ‘kay?